4D mapping of internal mechanical quantities
Fig. 1 Number of grains and pores in aluminum. The values are the numbers contained in an X-ray CT specimen of a standard volume.
Fig. 2 Conceptual diagram of microstructure tracking. The 3D/4D distributions of mechanical quantities, such as distortion, stress, and the driving force of crack propagation, are determined by tracking all grains and pores while heating and subjecting to plasticity processing, loading from outside, etc., and measuring their physical displacements.@
Fig. 5 Measured internal distortion and its distribution in Al-Mg alloy under unconfined compression@@
Fig. 6 Comparison between 4D-equivalent strain measurement by X-ray CT (left) and image-based simulation (only crack shapes considered) of the same cross section@
- H. Toda, M. Kobayashi, Y. Suzuki, A. Takeuchi, K. Uesugi, 3Dฅ4D Materials Science: Its Current State and Prospects, Hihakaikensa, Vol.58CNo.10C2009C433-438
- H. Toda, M. Sato, H. Okuda, M. Kobayashi, Observation and analysis of materials with synchrotron radiation, Keikinzoku Vol.61, No.1, 2011
- M. Kobayashi, H. Toda, Y. Kawai, T. Ohgaki, K. Uesugi, D.S. Wilkinson, T. Kobayashi, Y. Aoki, M. Nakazawa, High-density three-dimensional mapping of internal strain by tracking microstructural features, Acta Materialia, Vol.56, Issue 10, 2008, 2167-2181
- L. Qian, H. Toda, K. Uesugi, M. Kobayashi and T. Kobayashi, Direct observation and image-based simulation of three-dimensional tortuous crack evolution inside opaque materials, Physical Review Letters, Vol.100, No.11, 2008, 115505
- H. Toda, K. Minami, K. Koyama, K. Ichitani, M. Kobayashi, K. Uesugi, Y. Suzuki, Healing behavior of preexisting hydrogen micropores, in aluminum alloys during plastic deformation, Acta Materialia, Vol.57, 2009, 4391-4403
- H. Zhang, H. Toda, P.C. Qu, Y. Sakaguchi, M. Kobayashi, K. Uesugi, Y. Suzuki, Three-dimensional fatigue crack growth behavior in an aluminum alloy investigated with in situ high-resolution synchrotron X-ray microtomography, Acta Materialia, Vol.57, No.11, 2009, 3287-3300
- H. Toda, Y. Okawa, M. Kobayashi, K. Uesugi and Y. Suzuki, Acta Materialia, to be submitted.
- H. Toda, D. LeClere, Y. Okawa, M. Kobayashi, K. Uesugi and Y. Suzuki, Acta Materialia, to be submitted.